Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Wednesday 20 March 2019

Reefer Madness



Oh come on Sharky Fishy folks, you knew that I would be writing a post about this because in the words of the Consultant Psychologist, I'VE GOT LIVED EXPERIENCE. Don't worry, even though I found God in prison or perhaps he/she found me I don't buy into black and white, binary thinking on this subject. Let me tell you, it wasn't the Cannabis, it was my un-diagnosed mental health condition that led me into a prison cell. It was the black and white thinking previously, the intrusive thoughts of Pure OCD that found me self medicating with 'da herb'. I got to say, I was having a good time before I threatened to explode an invisible bomb under my jacket in a bank in Hilversum, Netherlands on August 8th 2005. The bombs that went off in London on the 7th July triggered a mental health incendiary device in my fractured mind with the assistance of very strong cannabis. I remember going into a coffee shop and asking for something to inspire the creative juices, you see even back then I was a pretentious sod and thought I could write. The patron went to the fridge and brought out a coin shaped flattened piece of bud with the weed logo imprinted into it. I think it cost me something like 15 euros or it might have been 50 euros at the time, I was too high to care what anything cost for God's sake. He emphasized that I would only need a fingernail full in a joint for effect and what did Dai dewdrop by ere go and do?! 'crumble fucking crumble innit'. The substance in question was called 'Scuff'. It was strong skunk and once you get the taste for that stuff then there ain't going back to the living room dabble of the literary cultural elite.
If we were able to smoke in surroundings and environments that were conducive to relaxation, where ambient music and chilled art were aurally and visually relaxing. This is what they have tried to create in the Amsterdam coffee shops but when you are hiding from the police in a South London tower block the effect that your skunk joint could have on you could be radically different.    
Shamans used marijuana way back, when they moved from Siberia on to Turtle Island so mystics and wise persons have been using it WITHOUT ill effects for centuries. It is the conditions in which we use and go on to abuse that has to be addressed. Weed is nature, it grows from the ground. It is not manufactured in laboratories, well at least it never used to be. It is not weed that is the problem but Capitalism. It is the people who wish to make a quick million bucks from your choice of escape route from reality. Reality is Capitalism, Capitalism leads to oppression and repression, people smoke and do drink and drugs to escape the oppression and repression and the circle of life continues. In hindsight was my charade in the bank a futile cry of despair against Capitalism? 
Who are any of us to tell anybody else what to do and what not to do but whenever this subject raises its head I always like to chip in because there is never a high without a corresponding low. As a Manic Depressive, I should know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman