Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Wednesday 20 April 2016

The Cambrian Sleaze


Well, the Cambrian Sleaze have outdone themselves this week. I'm almost speechless. Good thing that I have a Blog where I can jot down my incredulities. Where does the Shark Fisherman place his fin to begin? I know, Page 14 where in unashamed UKIP colours there is a debate between two people who have obviously never met in real life so how can it be a debate. Candidate A on the left goes in for the factual, statistical, Candidate B on the right goes straight for the emotive jugular. In fact I don't think that Candidate B actually exists. It is a made up person. If I go into more detail, I will get dragged into the automotive emotive and I don't want to do that! I certainly don't want you to rush out and buy a copy, the 80p would be better off spent given to a Big Issue seller. The longer I spend up here, the more I am hypnotised by the small town mentality. The defensive stance of the paper and the siege mentality is staggering. This is a paper that plays 'Devil's Advocate' and similar to its mother paper 'The Western Mule' which gives us a parochial, Unionist view of the Principality (sorry, it just slipped out) it is effective in causing division. All I can say in response to candidate B is  


Who knows himself a braggart, Let him fear this; for it will come to pass 

That every braggart shall be found an ass.  --Parolles, Act 4, scene 3, line 372, 

All's Well That Ends Well 



Moving swiftly back to the front page. I am no Lawyer but I am wondering whether they have actually libelled a local woman in an 'EXCLUSIVE by Cambrian News Reporter' by publishing a photograph of her next to the headline 'Woman put hand down 15 year old's trousers '. A woman has gone on trial this week accused of slipping her hand down the trousers of a 15 year old boy. So she is on trial and hasn't been found guilty. As far as I can ascertain she is neither a teacher nor a professional footballer and this alleged incident happened at a party. Now I am presuming that if this was a party, there might have been alcohol involved and unless the boy was walking around with a badge that says 'I am 15' on it then how was the alleged to know. She had allegedly told him to bugger off and he had gone home to tell his brother and we all know that men don't like rejection so now she is on the front page of the Cambrian Sleaze. Excuse the term but this looks like another 'witch-hunt'. I use the term witch in a non-gender specific way. We all know that the age of consent is 16 but if I was 15 and an attractive 34 year old woman put her hand down my trousers I certainly wouldn't be blabbing to the local newspaper. I would have written it down in a journal or on my blog and gone to watch 'The Graduate'. In the same week that two 14 year old girls have been charged with the murder of a Lincolnshire Mother and Daughter and in the past month two young girls, not even teenagers were found guilty of murdering a vulnerable woman in her own home, it does start making you believe the adage that age is just a number. A number made up by the law courts. All I can surmise is that because the Cambrian Sleaze now has competition from another snoozepaper in the county, it has decided to go down the News of the World route and we all know what happened to that rag.



Finally 'Opera Star hits out after customer 'told to speak English or get out' on page 3. If the well known opera star had actually hit out, then that would have been the front page news story. 


'Argy-Bargy in well known conglomerate that doesn't pay tax, begins with S and rhymes with F**ks'  


I've been in there once and once was enough. Just before last Christmas and rather than linguistic apartheid I was greeted with 'ennui'. The staff could not give a F**k. I get that a lot and I've started to take it personally. It's as if they must know that I am going to slag them off in a semi-anonymous blog. Well Aberystwyth what are we going to do with you? Not so long ago a well known harpist of international acclaim was slung out of the HSBC on Great Darkgate street for timidly mentioning that the Welsh language was not given as much space on their signage as the other languages and he was told to 'sling his hook'. Now an Opera Star in Starbucks. Ooops!  When I was sat in there listening to tinny Christmas carols on a loop and feeling crushed I noticed that the signage in BuckStar was in Welsh. In fact there was a lot of Cymraeg on the walls but that is as far as it goes it appears but what really rubs my rhubarb is that a newspaper with usually only one article in Welsh in it (Not this week ironically cos the Cymro is on holiday) seeks fit to highlight deficiencies elsewhere. Why don't we admit the unpalatable truth that here in Modern day Wales everybody has got a shitty attitude towards the indigenous language and that includes candidate B.
By the way what is Palestine in Welsh please?      


No comments:

Post a Comment

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman