Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Wednesday 25 June 2014

Voyeur's Weekly



Welcome to your latest edition of Voyeur's Weekly. What is the cretin going to admit to this week? Why doesn't he turn Catholic and go to confessional?  Well Harry 'Heart on his Sleeve' would like to say to the Shark Fishing Nation that he has just returned from North West Wales twice in the last month and each time, it has been like an 'earthing'. I always thought that I would end up in a cave in Eryri, mumbling to myself in 'Wenglish'.  I ended up in a meeting in a place called Felinheli which is between Bangor and Caernarfon. The first time I approached via Beddgelert and Llanberis and this time I approached via Pwllheli and Porthmadog. I had a couple of hours to kill so I went in to Bangor Nye! A lady in a cafĂ© said to me "I've lost my Welsh aye and people look at me gone off, you could speak to me now and I would understand what you said but I couldn't speak back to you, I only had two hours a week of Welsh in school, it's sad". She was very chatty "Look at all the shops that have shut, there's 17,000 people here in Bangor aye when the students have gone home and 25, 000 when they come back. I don't mind them but they are very noisy in the residential areas, they don't care about the locals when they are getting pissed"












I walked down to the Pier  and it was lovely.It stopped just short of Anglesey and I wondered why they had built it so far out. There were many benches either side of the pier and on each one was a name with a dedication. It was an education and rather sobering to see the names with the two dates and the dash in between. The dash of life.
 
Names of people who used to love the Pier but who no longer walk the earth and if you didn't know them then they are a name, two dates and a dash in between. It was 6.00pm and deathly calm on the Menai Strait. I have descendants who hail on my mother's side from Porthmadog and the Lleyn Peninsula and I do feel a connection to the area. It's perhaps the only Geographical part that I haven't lived in. I've done South East, North East and West. I wonder whether the North West beckons but like elsewhere there is no work aye!

 "The owners of the Vaynol Estate, the Assheton Smiths, owned most of the land in Y Felinheli and developed the Dinorwic Quarry in the late 18th century, They also built the harbour to export slate transported to the quay by the Dinorwic Railway, a narrow gauge railway that was subsequently replaced by the Padarn Railway. Industrial expansion gave Y Felinheli (Felin-hely, 1838) the alternative name Port Dinorwig or Port Dinorwic."    Wikipedia

I can't tell you what the meetings have been about, I am sworn to secrecy but I will give you a clue http://www.redbuttontheatre.co.uk

It's a long way to travel but I break my journey from Cardiff with a leisurely lay over in Aberystwyth by Sea. The journey from Aber via Machynlleth and Dollgellau to Penrhyndeudraeth takes you through some of the most stunning scenery in the UK. Both Porthmadog and Penygroes now have bypasses. It appears to have affected the former detrimentally but not the latter.

Well I have mentioned Wales in this Blog Post but not Sharks. I didn't see any from the Garth Pier but I'm sure they were out there somewhere.

Thank you for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman