Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Wednesday 18 December 2013

Blood

http://sharkfishinginwales.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/damaged-goods.html

http://sharkfishinginwales.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/186th-post.html

 
To continue with the Autobiographical aspect of the Blog, leaving Mystic Dai to his crystal ball gazing I will venture some more navel gazing for your delight and delectation. I had a Blood Test this morning in the local GP's surgery. Three small phials full. I'm meant to ring on Monday to get the results. In 1999, blood played a major part in my life or what went into the blood more accurately. At Llandough Hospital in Cardiff I began a course of six chemotherapy sessions. Large amounts of a yellow substance taking a long time to enter my blood system intravenously. In those days the waiting room at the Haematology department was a miserable affair. All of us sat there, not talking, knowing that we had a shared fate. The converted water mill I had moved into in the village of Meifod near Welshpool was now a distant memory. I was not to hear from Voluntary Arts Wales again! They were probably covered by a six month probationary period anyway as I had worked there four months but I had literally flogged myself to death traversing Wales in the name of the Young Farmers' Clubs of Wales attending endless meetings and dying inside every day from mood swings, low self esteem and general misery. Was the condition in my genes or had it been my binge drinking, smoking and snack eating lifestyle that had caused it? So those two places of work do not hold any fond memories for me. I returned to my two up/two down in Grangetown or rather to my sister's house in Canton because I had 'friends' staying at my gaff. I was in the habit of picking up parasites and free loaders who I mistakenly thought were friends but who were working on my 'weaknesses' as a human being. As one said to the other one "There are givers and takers in this life, which one are you"? Years after I thought why had he made such a remark in the first case. Projection? Blood is thicker than water and I owe my sister a huge debt of gratitude for her endless patience, support and love. I have been a right royal pain in the arse on many occasions but she has solidly supported me perhaps with little choice sometimes. I won't identify her, to avoid embarrassment, but perhaps in this small footnote can I show my appreciation. Thank you Sister! You know who you are! 
At the GP's surgery this morning I was given a card with a number on it and a picture of a bat/vampire type creature. Very comforting! (What were they thinking?) From April 1999 till August 2000 I received treatment for Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma and then what does an undiagnosed Manic Depressive go and do? He packs and leaves for London to start a job as a Secondary School Teacher in a tough school in South East London. The Deputy Head on showing me round said "This is not a job for the faint hearted!" I thought I've just had six courses of chemotherapy and lost all my hair. 'Bring it on'. What really decided my course of action was having returned to Grangetown after the departure of my 'friends', I spent the days reading and dwelling and listening to two Yorkshire terriers scratching the wood off the door, next door. Listening to two toy dogs yelping and scratching all day was too much for this Shark Fisherman so I packed my rod and tackle into the back of the Citroen ZX which I had purchased from the Young Farmers' Clubs of Wales and I headed East along the M4 to the Tropics of Lewisham, Downham and Bromley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman