Language was the absolute key to all of this

Total Pageviews

Sunday 6 May 2012

Liverpool: A New Capital City!





I have spent the last 25 years in the plastic capital city of wales.  Anecdotaly (On Twitter) I heard that Liverpool fans booed the English National Anthem  yesterday at Wembley "God save the Queen".  God Save the Queen  a)an entity whose existence has yet to be proved,  b)save an unelected head of state from a German family.
I am told that I still have a Scouse accent. As a teenager I lived, as the one-eyed crow flies, some 35 miles from Birkenhead, over the border in North Wales. The people of North Wales, consumers to a woman, would be pulled by the gravitational force of the shops of Chester and Liverpool. This was before Wrexham became such a capitalist centre. I remember all these places in the last double dip recession, 1981-83, under Herr Thatcher's dictatorship. I remember Miners on the streets of Lime St in 84/85 with their collecting buckets. I remember Holly Johnson singing 'The Power of Love' in a basement record department. The party hats and paraphenalia in 'Blackwells' but there was no party. I returned to the city recently for the first time since then, and sensed the economic poverty immediately but the Scouse Spirit was alive and well as it had ever been. A Karaoke on a Monday night was like a Saturday night in any other city.
This blog post proposes that Liverpool becomes the Capital of Wales & Ireland. Dublin has become as touristy and trashy as Boris Johnson's London, the gentleman who had to apologise to a city on Radio Merseyside in 2005. Accusing Liverpool of a 'Victim Mentality'. If this fine, historic, spiritual city became a Celtic Capital then it wouldn't have to suffer these gibes from the Garrick Club. I'll hold my tattooed arms up to the sky and admit to buying into the romance of Liverpool. I've got 'Boys from the Blackstuff' on repeat flickering like a Super 8mm in front of my eyelids. When I can no longer deal with this reality, I move my energy up to the Sixth Chakra and indulge my delusions that life could be oh so different to the communal reality that we have created. Liverpool will always be my Capital City. I'm not even biased or tainted by tribal loyalties. I love Everton and Liverpool FC equally and have a soft spot for Tranmere Rovers Why? Because I am the Artistic Director of Red Button Theatre Company and the economic policies pursued by a culture and class elite have contributed to poverty and a sense of alienation in a geographical area at the mouth of the Mersey. So even though the Scousers wouldn't want to associate with the 'Woollybacks' Liverpool has more in common with the Welsh and Irish than it has with 'God Save the Queen'.

"Go ed Chelski and your London Weighting Allowance, go ed and do one."

1 comment:

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman