Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Tuesday 4 August 2015

Freedom



I realised today, with a heavy heart, that I don't understand what 'Freedom' is. I'm sure I have it but I don't think that I have ever used it. I am free to live in a country that a lot of people in Calais would like to get into but what really is one free to do in this country? Free to shop (If you have money) Free to travel ( if you have the means to do so) Free to earn money (an oxymoron if ever there was one) Freedom to roam away from home but if you are not free in your mind then how can you ever be free? The people in the Calais Camp are quite possibly a lot freer than us. Freer in their minds. What did James Baldwin say 



So many of us have so much to lose! Our social standing (not me)
our reputation (not me) our homes and our families (?) our jobs (not me)

I am not free because Wales is not free.
 GB/UK PLC is not free of its colonial, imperialist past.
 Can white people ever be free if they invented
slavery?

I believe that a critical mass in this and every country are so scared and so institutionalised that they are unable to exercise their freedom. They do not know what their freedom is any more. Their freedom is now routine and tradition. Perhaps our Island people now need to shake it up a bit. How would our comfortable and complacent cope if we had to return to mother Africa, from whence we came? Shouldn't we really show true compassion and swap places with the people who want to come here. They will appreciate the freedom. They will perhaps see it for what it is. I cannot see this freedom any more because I have become institutionalised by school, by family, by work and by prison. I am scared to move.  If Cameron asked for volunteers on a one in, one out basis,
Would you go?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman