Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Tuesday 2 June 2015

My Old Man is an Arsenal Fan

FINAL WORD

John is ninety six and a half and a farmer's son from North Wales. He started supporting Arsenal in 1927 and was a regular at Highbury from 1947-1954 when he lived in London.




I'm going to take you back to 1927 as the date that I started supporting the Arsenal. I was 9 years of age.  As keen Gooners will know, there were two Welshmen in the side that lost to Cardiff City in the FA Cup Final of that year. Bob John and the unfortunate Dan Lewis in Goal. Whether I felt sorry for Dan I can't remember but I do remember that this was the start of my love affair with the club whose fortunes I have followed for nearly nine decades. From Herbert Chapman's side of then to now.
For seven years,from 1947 - 1954 I lived in Crouch End and Tufnell Park and worked in the offices of the National Provincial Bank in Tottenham Court Road and a gang of us would assemble at Highbury of a Saturday to cheer on the Gunners. From a distant yearning as a Farmer's son in North Wales to the Blitzed remains of Post War London, Arsenal provided the colour in our lives.  My favourite players from the 1947 season were Joe Mercer and Wally Barnes at the back and there was a Welshman again playing his one and only season, a forward called Brynmor Jones. In the 1950/51 season there were three Welshmen in the side, the great Jack Kelsey in goal, William Daniel defending and David Bowen in Midfield. In 1953 another Welshman Derek Tapscott was in attack who left to join Cardiff City in 1958. 
I had to return to Wales myself for work in 1954 but those 7 magical years from 1947 - 1954 will remain with me.
I have mentioned many of the Welsh players because one of the greatest players that Arsenal have ever had is another former Cardiff lad Aaron Ramsey. He will be in the Yellow and Blue away kit when he steps out at Wembley on May 30th. Cardiff City Colours? Another omen perhaps. A dream I would have would be to see Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey both playing in Arsenal colours. How that would go down with the faithful I'm not sure but they are turning it on for Wales and manager Chris Coleman at the moment. I have been to Wembley once but never been to the Emirates Stadium. Highbury will always be my ground. I have followed Arsenal's fortunes and did get back on occasion to Highbury, one game against Coventry City and another against Newcastle United. One thing I always enjoyed was the dry humour and droll comments from the stands, commenting on one player I heard someone behind me shout " look at so and so (player) he's having a right old kip ". Can't have been an Arsenal player, must have been a member of the opposition. Well, my fellow Gooners, I really wish I could be with you today at the Emirates and at Wembley on May 30th but I will be shouting and cheering with you and please don't forget Arsenal's Welsh Connections.

Up the Arsenal \0/



1 comment:

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman