Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Thursday 18 October 2018

Economically Inactive


I began this blog on January 12th 2012 and here is the first ever blog post. It is October 18th 2018 now and I am still as economically inactive as I was when I started it. When I began I was receiving Incapacity Benefit due to a diagnosis of Manic Depression in 2006. The net was beginning to close in however and the DWP in cahoots with French firm ATOS began to believe that they had a malingerer on their hands. I was alright under Gordon Brown but as soon as Cameron and his henchman Iain Duncan Smith came in, I and many thousands like me were soon to be put under pressure. Our lavish lifestyles of crime, fraudulently claiming from the public purse was soon to come to an end. Duncan Schmidt's Department did away with Incapacity Benefit and replaced it with 'Work Focused Employment & Support Allowance' so anybody who could carry a bucket of sand upstairs in one hand to the interview room was in mortal danger of being pushed back to the factory floor of the Memory Lane Cake factory in Llanishen. After the fifth interview Atos deemed me 'Fit to Work'  and since that day I have been ducking and diving, trying to keep one step ahead of the DWP and the HMRC. From the aforementioned ESA to Job Seekers' Allowance (Special Cases) they were determined to beat me back to unsuitable work with a big stick. Crafty bastard that I am I have wangled a cushy gig now of £62.40 a week FREE MONEY off this soft arse government under the guise of something called Carers' Allowance. Now I do feel kind of guilty because I am helping myself to the public purse and it is not the Great British Public's fault or responsibility that I have Manic Depression or aged parents to look after BUT and it is something I have thought about, it is the very nature of the Benefits system that is at fault. The Divide and Conquer nature of giving state handouts to those deemed worthy on the checklist of worthiness. The Welfare State was brought in, in 1948 at a time of real need but it has been administrated since then by a succession of governments especially Conservative Governments who do not believe in  the Welfare State. They believe in 'Pulling yourself up by your bootstraps' and getting on your bike to work like wot Norman Tebbit's Father did before he was blown up by the I.R.A. (Sick Joke Folks) The nature of work and education has changed since Victorian Britain but you would never believe it, attending a Job Centre interview. You are guilty of being a work shy until you can prove that you are innocent of laziness. After all this time period of being economically inactive I have to admit to a feeling of being a bit mouldy and a couple of cobwebs growing where they shouldn't be but I do have the knowledge that I worked for 15 years with Manic Depression and I paid all my stamps and whatever else you are meant to pay. So now that you have had my potted work history I need your help to work out a better system where 'normal' people probably like yourself who can automate for 43 years as an apprentice and then a time server do not have to subsidise the non 'normals' like myself. I feel for you, you should not be taxed to subsidise benefit scroungers SO where can we source all the money required to maintain the 'work shy' at the subsistence level that they have become accustomed to? That will probably have to take the form of another blog post. One thing that I will want to address in a future post will be Universal Basic Income I will be far too old for the cut and thrust of the competitive job market when my caring duties are over and instead of searching out for a lifestyle that is going to make my Manic Depression worse I would like to be sure that there is a little cushion there for me in my dotage because I know one thing, there will be nobody there to care for me, when push comes to shove down the steps of that job centre with the bucket of sand in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fruity old fruit bats

  Hello my fruity old fruit bats! That is a term of endearment by the way. I thought I would treat you to a piece of prose rather than the b...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman