Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Tuesday 10 May 2016

On the Border


"I've done it again Dad". I have dropped myself in it good and proper this time. The Shark Fisherman of Wales is going land locked for the duration of the Euro Championships 2016. As a Psycho-Geographer of some note with the emphasis on Psycho it is my intention to walk Offa's Dyke from Prestatyn in the North to Chepstow in the South. 177 miles during the merry month of June. So while you will be curled up like couch potatoes with your Budweiser and Potato chips I will be striding the ancient fortification like a colossus to raise money for the Mental Health Charity Mind. As England play Wales at football I will be walking the border between the two nation states and thinking about the nature of Nation, Language and Identity. I will also be contemplating the invisible border between sanity and insanity that many of us cross on a daily basis, even those undiagnosed with a Mental Health condition. My aim is to have raised £350.00 by the time I set off on the 6th June and anything after that will be gravy baby!
It will take me a good two weeks yomping and I should be back in Cardiff to vote for the border that I will have walked, to stay in Europe, with its own exciting, invisible borders.


You can donate to Mind here. Diolch/Thank You.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman