Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Tuesday 19 May 2015

Identity


I now realise this this Blog is fast turning into a love letter to my younger self. A younger self weaned on the music of Punk. I find it harder to listen to now because I am older, my age identity has changed. Single white male. Macho? Nah! Thuggish? Maybe. If I put some reading glasses on I don't look like such a grunt but I am aware that I am intimidating to some. Do you remember "Act your age and not your shoe size?" So what is identity? Welsh not British? Yawn! A couple of letters in today's Western Mail supporting the views of the Headmaster of the School I used to attend, unhappily! The reason that I look like a thug is that I was forced to play Rugby from U15 level to the day I left. I was Hooker for the First XV. They gave me my club colours on the day that I departed. A blue tie with eagles on it. The Bursar who was a c**t presented it to me at the door of the then Headmaster's Office, knowing that I wouldn't be able to wear it. I carried on playing Rugby well into adulthood after returning to South Wales because it was the script that I had learned to read. Now I hate the game with a vengeance as I hate public schools with a vengeance. 'Emotion' Brothers & Sisters! Let me hear you sing the word 'Emotion'. I hate them as much as my neighbour hates the Welsh Language. Why does he hate the Welsh Language? Because he was married to a Welsh Speaker who divorced him, who wounded his manhood. 'Emotion', brothers & sisters, Emotion. It is very difficult, if not impossible to take out the emotion involved in the argument. If you 'speako da lingo', for someone to slag it off, is like today's version of "Yer Mum". Your having a go at the mother tongue mate and if that goes I will be just like you, bereft! I am sure that my video on Facebook yesterday did not go down well with some language purists (as if any were reading or watching) to use the Welsh Academy English to Welsh Dictionary to look up rude words. Well tut tut! What's rude about them? Genitalia or Jenny Taylor as Ralph McTell would sing. It shows whether we are a man or woman. Gender Identity is so important. Pink for girls, Blue for Boys! 


Man Up! The worst thing you could say to a boy.     

Bydd yn wrol, paid รข llithro.

http://www.gobaith.cymru/bydd-yn-wrol-paid-a-llithro/

http://www.angelfire.com/in/gillionhome/Worship/Emynau/ByddYnWrol.html

I hate the above line. In translation it says, 'Be Brave', but literally it means 'Be like a Man'. What is it like to be like a Man?#FFS. 
It is the first line in translation of a hymn by Norman Macleod 'Courage Brother, Do Not Stumble'. A Scotsman. National Identity, Religious Identity. It appears that there is a strong urge within us to identify with a kind benevolent God or an angry malevolent God depending on the News Channel that you watch.
I identify with the Punk ethos of long ago, little did I know that as the withdrawn Welsh speaker at the at the back of the class that I would go on to become the Stellar Blogger and Shark Fisherman that I am now.  


2 comments:

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman