Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Sunday 17 August 2014

Digital Detox!


Some of you are wondering where the Shark Fisherman has been! I haven't been on Social Media since last Tuesday am so that's 5 whole days without technology. No laptop, no phone! That's the longest I've gone in the last 4 years I think. A disparate group of us were approached by the Welsh Assembly Government and offered a Digital Detox retreat at Tax Payers' expense in a forest in Mid Wales. I am not allowed to give too much detail because it was a trial to see whether hardened keyboard warriors could actually be weaned off their addiction to social media. I don't know how they got hold of me but all I can imagine is that Google tipped them the wink down Mermaid Quay and a minibus ride later we were amongst the wolves and bears of Mid Wales. The others were not to know that I also go by the name of the 'Celtic Shaman' so I literally took to it like the proverbial duck to water. This was like being back in the cubs but with long trousers.
It was important to be doing stuff, like collecting firewood. We threw ourselves into displacement activities that would take away our interest in digital media. We had all been frisked for phones before leaving Cardiff. Setting up the camp ready for long daily walks was the priority on arrival. I think I freaked a few out with my tall tales around the campfire of ancient 'eneidiau Cymraeg/Welsh souls who had vowed to return to rid the land of human detritus and shite. We were a disparate group all right. Losers, sad cases and men in their 40's who loved their mothers too much. I'll let you guess which group I came under. We were not to talk about Facebook, Twitter or Texting and perhaps the toughest part was yesterday when ordinarily we would all have been watching Match of the Day but instead we played football by moonlight. 
Carwyn and the Cowboys down at Mermaid Quay don't get much right but I have to thank the Welsh Taxpayers for my little holiday in the woods. The cynic in me believes that they were targeting the Non-Conformists, those who have been openly critical on Social Media of Welsh Government Policy. All is hope is that the 'Western Fail' don't get hold of this story or there will be questions asked down the chamber. Wales Online needs to be Wales Offline.
I have just got back to 'Strangetown' Cardiff now and have jumped on to the Social Media to catch up but I can see my attachment and addiction to it beginning to wane. If there is one lesson to be learnt from all this, GET OUT IN NATURE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman