Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Friday 25 July 2014

A life without social media?

Imagine your life without social media. I can't. It is insidious. It is an addiction. It is a weapon of mass distraction. It fills the void left by day to day existence. I can't remember what I did before social media...oh yes I can. Television! I haven't had one of those since 2005 but the bombing, murder and carnage seeps in through the BBC News website.
 
 
"May you live in interesting times"  which is a metaphor for complete and utter chaos. Well we are living through a period like this now. 
 
 
 
I link to a previous blog post here, purely because I can. I was very upset by the blowing up of the Pan Am jet over Lockerbie in 1988, perhaps because I was only 22, perhaps it was because I was still raw, my nerves were frayed from self employment and I was just beginning to realise what a bastard the world was. I am ashamed to say that this latest atrocity over the Ukraine, the destruction of Malaysian Airlines MH17 left me cold. I posted nothing on social media about it. I am asking myself why. Is it because I am now a seasoned and cynical observer of World Events at 48. 26 years have elapsed and enough has happened in my own life to make me close down in response to world events. I used to tap in to the 'Collective Unconscious' because I had no other choice. I felt world events to the marrow of my bones. I don't any more because I don't allow the images into my home. I am posting plenty about the bombing of Gaza on Facebook now because it is finally getting to me. It is relentless! It is triggering my 'Anti-British State'. We (The Brits) gave them (The Jews) the wherewithal to return to their Holy Land but we hadn't figured on the collective trauma of the holocaust on their people. They are now performing genocide on the people of Palestine and we sit in our comfy homes and shop in our comfy shops and indulge our comfy families and carry on in our own comfy way because we are comfy with a big fat C. Life goes on? No life should stop out of respect for the dead and dying. We shouldn't be allowed to carry on while another part is performing wanton destruction on another. Whether it was an accident, whether it was Russian separatists, whether it was a Ukrainian conspiracy squad, whether it was Putin himself who pulled the trigger on the surface to air missile we shall never know but Britain (Pre-Referendum) and a weakened Europe because of it and an America surrounded by water better not get into antagonist mode because Russia does not care. What the hell were Malaysia Airlines doing flying over a war zone? It would have cost an extra £10,000 to go another, safer way!. Why are planes still flying to Israel? Why are we not boycotting Israeli goods? Why is the Commonwealth games happening as if none of this is happening? Life goes on. Please excuse me as I return to social media!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman