Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Saturday 1 March 2014

The End Is Nigh






Well, another St David's Day raises its weary head. I wore a daffodil last year on my beany hat and was greeted with 'I prefer St Patrick's Day'. Yeah, well that was Cardiff and this St David's Day I am in Liverpool, the Capital of North Wales for despite living as a 'cwntw' for the last 25 years, my spiritual heart is in North Wales. Surprising considering I was pathologically unhappy and clinically depressed during my teenage years when I lived there but there is a return to source. I am attracted by the innocence and naievity of North Wales. The Industrial Revolution killed the Welsh Language in South Wales ostensibly and it is the Gogs and West Walians who keep it going in the ghettoes of the self proclaimed Capital. So Cardiff is the Capital of South Wales and Liverpool is the Capital of North Wales but we have the little problem of Anne Robinson who despite the botox and collogen implants looks more like 84 than my youthful 48.  The way she talks now between gritted teeth and lips, she could be talking her 'despised' Welsh.
 
 
 
She likes Fox Hunting as well which again will endear her to the Welsh Peasantry. On St David's Day I actually feel very close to the Welsh Peasantry. I am descended from a Farming Family in North East West and a Teaching Family in West Wales. From the earth we came, to the earth we will return.
 
As part of my M.A in Playwriting at Salford University I am required to carry out a Research Portfolio for one module and it is my intention to run, organise and implement a piece of site specific theatre in Liverpool based on the Welsh immigrants who came here for work in the decades from 1840 -1901. 
 
 
Although having watched it for the first time, I think that it was pretty much tongue in cheek and I'm sure that the crowd was encouraged to bay for the Welsh to be put in Room 101. If not, then the reaction of the Metropolitan crowd is pretty disturbing. I will myself admit to finding that some of my fellow country persons have had a 'sense of humour' transplant. It must go back to our Non Conformist Chapel background again. 
 
I think my performance now must include people wearing Anne Robinson masks. Because if there's one thing that grinds my gears it is ingratitude.
 
 
We built your city not on Rock & Roll 'wack' but on blood, sweat and tears.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman