Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Thursday 27 March 2014

Genius Loci


 

I think I have discovered a Hobby! Psycho-Geography, something that I have been doing for most of my adult life without realising what it was! Basically, walking everywhere usually cities, picking up the vibes and energies, checking out the buildings. I have been very fortunate since September last, to be able to do this with both Manchester and Liverpool. I have walked Cardiff to death! I walked Amsterdam to death in 2005 before I was bundled off the streets unceremoniously. I see similarities between Cardiff, Amsterdam and Liverpool and that is Water! These are cities where water plays an important role, more so in Amsterdam and Liverpool. I am fascinated by Docklands and was fortunate or unfortunate to walk most of Rotterdam Docks in 2005 as well. There is something of the occult about Psycho-Geography in that it involves the spirit of a place, what the Romans would call, the Genius Loci http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genius_loci  Occasionally my walking gets so extreme that my antennae become finely tuned and I become very sensitive to noise and unfortunately noise and traffic are big parts of city life. I see traffic as a nuisance because I want to cross the road and I still don't understand why somebody in a tin room with wheels takes precedence over someone on two legs.
Probably because they pay more tax to the Government but the experience of Psycho-Geography for me is spoilt by traffic so Parks and Green Spaces become a haven and destination. Another potential problem is that I have a large personal space. I don't feel comfortable when people get physically close. I have a need to keep a distance and that in itself can be a challenge in a city. I can be quite the twitchy, fussy flaneur about town.  Water is like the heart of a city, it pumps it round the system and I have felt that cities with water have a better feel than cities without. It's almost like the water diffuses the pollution. London perhaps would be an exception. London is very popular with Psychogeographers. I have walked much of London and the places that have a real, authentic vibe and energy are places like Kilburn, Deptford & Brick Lane. Places that jangle with me are Kensington & Park Lane. Artificial Wealth. Liverpool 1 has become like this. If I was a female psycho-geographer perhaps shops and retail would provide their own interest value but it is Antique Shops, Bric a Brac, Second Hand and Bookshops that hold my interest. I yearn for authenticity, the real thing and in our dumbed down society and culture this is becoming a rarer thing. I am detecting a dark Victorian Energy in parts of Manchester. Some of the Buildings are so tall and oppressive that finding a green space is a priority and I don't think that Piccadilly Gardens qualifies. Somewhere that I have walked up and down quite a lot is Oxford Road Manchester and this is incredibly busy and I remarked to a Geologist that I felt very frazzled after walking down there and he said that it could be to do with the number of Telephone Masts down there. There are so many convenient supermarkets and coffee outlets for students that you are literally spoilt for choice. It could be the energy of youth, it could be that I am getting too old to be walking in loud, busy places. I have to have sanctuaries in cities where I can escape and these are the Parks, Museums and Libraries. I have spent much of my life in these places because I cannot literally deal with the Psychic Energy of cities for too long. On the other hand, country life would not be stimulating enough for me at this stage. If after reading this any fellow Psycho-Geographers have suggestions for places and cities that are good to explore, please do let me know in the comments section below. Thank You!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman