Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Monday 12 March 2012

Bridge Building at Builth





The Bridge at Builth Wells.


So you're still with me then? The old 'Bipolar Bastard' has just qualified with a Post Graduate Certificate in Education (F.E) from the University College of Wales, Caerleon. It lasted a year and a very kind tutor kindly offered to help me improve my written Welsh. The year 1995.Why did I take this route after graduating? Fuck knows, but I did. Again, no plan Stan! I saw a job as a Basic Skills Tutor advertised with Rathbone Community Industry and I went for it. It was in a Unit over on Ely Bridge! It was to encourage young people excluded from school to engage with basic worksheets in Arithmetic and English. I was alright with the English, the language of Oppression but numbers and figures whoosh! I then saw another advertisement for a Full Time Field Officer with the Young Farmers' Clubs of Wales. Well I was working with young people part time, why not give this a go! I must have had some altruistic wish to be that adult who really understood what it was like to be an unhappy young person.
Young Farmers though? and you having been a city boy for 10 years. Aye, but I was raised in the country, in a village, outside a town in North Wales.  My father was from farming stock and I must have thought subliminally that this move would please him. I thought I was getting back to the land, the earth, 'y pridd'. I lived in Grungetown, Cardiff and I travelled 3 hours a day, there and back to Builth Wells whilst also travelling to all the County Headquarters around Wales. Urban/Rural, Welsh/English. I was driving around in a fog of self loathing and low self esteem. The  car had 125,000 miles on the clock when I started in 1996 and had 205,000 miles on the clock when I finished at the end of 1998. I was fucked by the end of this job and it cost me my physical health. I don't blame the job but I blame my Mental Health whilst doing the job for causing a serious physical illness the following year. I was a worrier, I didn't eat properly. I was snacking on food in garages and I was binge drinking on the weekends. I couldn't relax. I would attend meetings and run training events around Wales with an un-diagnosed Mental Health Condition.  I used to dread the Royal Welsh Show. I had been a Security guard on the show in the early nineties, again Why? Why? Oh yes for the pittance of pay and that had been a sobering experience. Trying to stop somebody on a quad bike from driving around the showground, I made a grab for him and his little son on the back spat out "Hit him Dad, Hit him". I was actually flooding my anxiety later on by doing a job that involved meeting and working with a lot of different people. For a 'Normal' person, this would have been stressful but for somebody with high and low moods it was too much. I bailed out at the end of 98 and in the debrief was asked "Was there anything you enjoyed about the job"? I'd seen another job, working in the Arts and I tried for it, but I was ill already.   Was I being selfless? Was I bridge-building? Or was I just fucking myself up? Tune in next time 'Shark Fishing in Wales' fans to find out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman