Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Monday 24 January 2022

The Earl's Court of Miracles

 



 Flash Fiction

 

After watching out for the parakeets in Bradenham Gardens and listening for their shrill call, their verdant green plumage bright high among the winter non growth of tree. I sloped, not like an ordinary member of the Earl’s Court of Miracles but I was the leader. Like the escaped parakeets, our job was to stay one step ahead of the privatised law. The Metropolitan Police had been privatised and now each little London canton had their own elite, hand picked security squad. This mob did not read you your rights before kicking your head in, in the back of the black Mariah or down the end of the darkest alleyway. I sloped past Marks & Spencer’s, I limped passed the Co-op and I dragged my leg behind me past Sainsburys. The only people who worked in these stores were security who were linked via satellite walkie talkie to the privatised snatch squads. Everything inside these super stores was now robotic artificial intelligence. The voice “Unidentified Item in the Bagging Area” was that of Donald Trump. Those dressed like me were easily picked out on the infra-red CCTV, a cordon had been built around Kensington High Street.  The vagabonds of the Earls’ Court of Miracles were like zombies compared to the automated barbie dolls and action men parading up and down outside Harrods. London had always been two different cities, the citizens just pretended that it was all one. Doing the Lambeth walk in a Chelsea Tractor was difficult ‘but doable darling on the school run’. Me and my chums had not been privately educated in the little nurseries around Notting Hill, the mothers swerving their prams and little Tarquin and Nigella’s eyes were shielded from ours. Our eyes bled with the injustice that we were living. Our eyes bled when we viewed the opulence of Park Lane and Mayfair through the railings the other side of Hyde Park. We made ourselves scarce in the day but by night we would give the scurrying rats a fright and a run for their money. Night-time was ours; we would skirt the Victoria Coach Station to see what wide eyed bunny rabbits were knocking about. Some of our hooded ghost members would haunt the night buses. Cameras can’t pick up dead matter you see. The Number 11 was always good for pickings. Some Tourists realising that you could ride from Fulham Library all the way to Liverpool Street Station taking in all the sites that the London Bus Company offered for 1000 times the amount. Central London would be empty without the tourists. We could take over then, maybe for that is our plan. France is our inspiration and this is indeed a tale of two cities. There is too much inequality here. The Powers and Principalities have decreed that we must take back what is rightfully ours.    

I couldn’t do this alone; I didn’t have the vision; I did not have the third sight required. I needed a Fagin to my Artful Dodger. I found him. He was in his late sixties, early seventies and he had a little dog, a Jack Russel terrier he called ‘Patch’. This man was walking wisdom and I had to keep him apart from the rest of the gang. Freddie the Vulture I would call him. He would swoop. Before I knew it, Patch was on my shoulder barking into my ear.

“You got to define your enemy son”, he would say. “It’s no good having this generic, they, them”

“Generic Freddie?”

“Yeah generic, are you thick or something?”

Freddie was the only person in the whole world who I allowed to talk to me like that.

“Yes Freddie, I am thick because I only went to a Secondary Modern School, unlike you”

“Don’t hold that against me son, I’m one of you now and I can help you”

“You were one of them though so you know how their minds work Freddie”

Freddie nods and looks down at Patch. He gives him a little Scooby Snack.

“Right listen and listen good because you might never see me again. My age and angina, I could be plucked into God’s bosom at a moment’s notice so listen up and listen good”

I listen good.

“Christmas Day is the only day that some of these poor sods have off. It’s the only day that Earl’s Court Tube Station pulls the shutters across. So, you want to get the Bus Drivers and the Tube Drivers on side. You affect the Transport infrastructure of this fine city and you are halfway there. Then you want to take control of the food supply into the city. Every supermarket has got its own supply chain, its own lorry drivers that drive through the night. This is where your Gang come in. Some of your boys need HGV licences, they need to infiltrate the supermarkets and on the designated day that the transport infrastructure is hit, that is the day that the food supply starts to dry up. That is also the day that ‘A Plague’ is announced on the National News. You need the Toffs to stay indoors. Yer posh wont risk coming out of their des res if they think they are going to inhale some junk wots gonna kill em”. You need multiple attack points. If you have televised pictures of an attack on the water supply as well up at the Lea Valley Reservoir. Something like ‘Thames Water hit by Terrorist Attack’ If you get the population panicked, I tell you one thing, they won’t be headed to Buckingham Palace to save the Royals. They will start a pogrom to Margate.”

With that Freddie the Vulture picked up Patch and I never saw him again but his words resonated. Spread panic among the populace he said. We couldn’t do it all at once. It would need a drip feed approach but the world was doing that already. The news media were doing that for us already. Members of ‘the Miracles’ were using their time in the Libraries of London well. Everybody thought they were watching You Tube or playing games but they were gathering information. They were relaying it back to us at the meetings. We were staying under the radar that was the important thing. The best thing to have happened to us was the breakup of the Met because none of these privatised security firms were talking to each other. There was no joined up thinking. So, if they picked a member up in Deptford, they wouldn’t know about it in Holland Park which was dusty for us because we could bring the New Cross and Deptford Massive across West then. I’m only telling you this because I trust you. You know, like Freddie the Vulture, I might get taken but I know I won’t be going to god’s bosom and neither will he. It’s into the Devil’s Armpit we’ll be going and all because we won’t sign up for the programme, the conditioned programme that we’ve all been programmed to follow since school.   So, I’m still in charge but if I fall in the line of duty, you need to take over right? It’s the law of guerrilla warfare. If we weren’t so fucked up by drugs and alcohol and years of disfunction and abuse then we could take this lot. I’m telling you we could take em.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got parakeets to feed.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman