Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Friday 2 January 2015

Cardiff Crazies Cricket Team




I went for a long walk today and on my return I saw an older man than myself practicing a run up and bowling a cricket ball in Sophia Gardens...on the 2nd of January!!! And what made it even more interesting was that he was bowling to nobody, so after a run up and a throw he had to walk all the way to pick it up again and he didn't even have a dog to do it for him. My mind drifted back to my teenage years as it often does and to the bowling of a cricket ball against the wall at home and once putting it through the shed window to much chagrin from Pater. I, like this man, was and am, Billy No Mates. Playing cricket on your own?! How odd!! As I walked down the Embankment to home I thought, it has been about 34 years since I played my last game of cricket and if this bloke who looked older than me can practice his Denis Lillee then why can't I....come the cricket season. I looked up the Cricket Season and it starts on April 1st so it is my intention to start a Cricket Team and I am toying with two names at the moment, The Cardiff Crazies or the Non-Conformists. My dream as the Captain is that this team is made up of real characters, those that wouldn't grace the village green usually. They will all, of whatever gender or sexual persuasion have to self identify as 'Crazy'. In a wheelchair or on crutches, the Cardiff Crazies will find a place for you on the Cricket Pitch. It might be an informal knockabout on Pontcanna Fields in our 'offwhites' with turnips for wickets. If we can find our very own Dickie Bird for Umpire so much the better. Even though I haven't played for such a long time, I used to devour Cricket Books and took a years subscription out to 'The Cricketer' once. The last time I played aged 15 I took 2 wickets in one over so bagsee bowling. I will be a bowler and Captain (to feed my delusions of grandeur) I would like to include an Australian in the team, but they are a bit thin on the ground in Cardiff, someone handy with their hands to play wicket keeper and the rest.. well bring on Cardiff's Craziest & Finest. Expressions of Interest should be left in reply to this Blog Post. Thank You.

      There's a breathless hush in the Close to-night—

Ten to make and the match to win—
A bumping pitch and a blinding light,
An hour to play and the last man in.
And it's not for the sake of a ribboned coat,
Or the selfish hope of a season's fame,
But his captain's hand on his shoulder smote

"Play up! play up! and play the game!"
      Henry Newbolt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman