Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Friday 9 November 2012

La Angostura

I was sixteen when the Imperialist Machine of Maggie's Task Force went into action in the South Atlantic. A teacher marched into the Public School Classroom and with fist in the air shouted "We've got one of them". An Argentine jet had been shot down and I remember thinking at the time what do you mean 'we' paleface. I was surprised because this teacher was a Welsh Speaker from Caernarfon and was one of the few teachers who abstained from singing 'God Save the Queen' at the assemblies when Elizabeth Vagina was being saluted. I had a gut feeling that Britain's actions were immoral and wrong.We had seized the Malvinas in 1833, for its oil reserves, and now Argentina wanted them back.

Wales has a connection with Argentina that goes back to the settlement of Y Wladfa in 1865 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y_Wladfa


Followers to SharkFishing in Wales will know that I have an aversion to the oval shaped ball. A completely irrational and emotional response to a game that the Welsh have enthusiastically embraced from its origins in a Public School in Rugby, England. Perhaps not completely irrational because I was forced to play the game from U15 level and didn't stop playing until my early thirties.
A complete waste of Saturday afternoons.
I have a completely rational yet emotional view on Public schools. As a Welsh speaker I was educated in an enclave, in a bastion of the English Class system in North Wales. A recurring nightmare that I have is that I am still a pupil at this school, as an adult. I have been kept down from progressing to every subsequent year because of my woeful progress academically.  I witnessed the ravages of this  class system, in the guise of Margaret Thatcher's Conservatism, being unleashed on the communities of the United Kingdom. I do not wish to use the term 'English' in a pejorative way. It is the Imperialist British Class System that I rail against. The system that has caused so much oppression and so much misery and death around the world. Who could blame those early settlers for looking for a 'man gwyn man draw' (Grass is always Greener type of thing) away from all this? 

Tomorrow in the plastic capital of Wales a game will occur between the Prince of Wales Feathers Brigade and Argentina. From my cave in Ceredigion I will be hoping that the descendents of the orginal settlers beat the Red Shirts again purely because of our subservient, forlock tugging nature as a people!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman