Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Saturday 31 March 2012

Tangerine Dream



Well it was cooler today and the fuel Crisis has eased! I was following the bidding on a second hand car on ebay which ended today but because I haven't had a car for as long as I haven't had a Television, namely six years I couldn't secure insurance for less than the value of the car. The Car was an old Jalopy and would have been useful for visiting family and trips to the D I Y stores but it wasn't to be.

So I bought a Bicycle instead!.


I purchased it from http://www.regbraddickcycles.com/ in Broadway, my first visit back down there for years. I was looking for a Hybrid with Suspension that would get me up the Taff Trail. I've been as far as Merthyr on my old Raleigh but am hoping that the Navy Blue Claud Butler will make my riding experience easier.  
I have to admit to 'Bicycle Rage'. I get Bicycle Rage when I have to wait too long for cars while waiting to cross on Canton Bridge. I get the rage when Pedestrians waddle along like overweight ducks blissfully unaware that they share the Taff Trail with Cyclists. Cardiff is a Car City. Car is King. There are loads of cyclists especially when the weather is like this but the standard of cycling lanes and the volume of traffic just doesn't make it an enjoyable or safe experience.

Even though Francis Maude was a Tory Tit-Head for insisting that people fill their Jerry Cans, the ensuing panic buying reflected our fear and paranoia of being deprived something that perhaps allows us one of our very few freedoms. Our freedom to travel, to go wherever and whenever we want.

The reason perhaps that I have been so critical of Kairdiff is that I have essentially been a prisoner here for the last six years. No spontaneous combustion engine to take me away from here. Buses and trains sure, but I like many, am selfish.  I am selfish because I want to control my mode of transport and my journey.

How long can we carry on like this, with our reliance on Oil and Petrol? Are people changing their behaviors in preparation for future shortages and austerity.
Perhaps we should ask that lady in York. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman