Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Tuesday 14 February 2012

Fe Flogiwn Ni Eto!







Rwy'n caru'r Gymraeg! I love the Welsh Language. I wish I could write this blog post in my mother tongue. My Welsh is not good enough and if I wrote it in Welsh then I would be preaching to the converted.
It was 50 years to the day, yesterday, that Saunders Lewis broadcast 'Tynged yr Iaith', the Fate of the Language. Out of a population of 3 million, 585,000(This keeps changing, this is an optimistic if not realistic figure) allegedly speak the language. Census figures will update us but these do tend to be massaged. 3000 people less are speaking it fluently every year. I have mentioned before about the context in which a language is spoken. Language cannot exist in a vacuum but it appears to be doing so in Wales. I love the language but I don't love the artificial context that it is used. In business or media or over a pint! That is why I am writing this blog on Valentine's Day and not on Diwrnod Santes Dwynwen. The Glass half full/empty scenario might say that it is a miracle that it has survived so well as it has living alongside and amongst the second most spoken language in the world. English, the language of the Empire which is now the language of America and Australia and Canada. Welsh is spoken in Wales which is a country the size of well....Wales and in Patagonia where seekers of religious freedom settled in the 19th Century.  Language is an Oppression, even languages that we have an emotional attachment to. In one of my last attendances at an organised congregation of worship, the Minister encouraged us to say the Lord's Prayer in our chosen language. The Welsh and English were spoken in prayer, almost in competition and having started in Welsh, I went to silence and my wish was that the universal language of the world, be silence. 
We all make excuses and we all pass the buck. I wish to make a contribution. I write monologues in Welsh or Wenglish to be un-exact. They reflect my use. My written work reflect the experience of those who are on the fringes of mainstream society. I am uncomfortable with a reality that has an emphasis on profit before people. What use a language which is used, in the same social context as others? Learning a language in order to secure a better job or to make more money does not cut the mustard with me. You are then using the language as a vehicle. You are more concerned with the destination than the journey.   Living once again with mortality is a responsibility that perhaps we wouldn't choose but those who speak it and those who live within the artificial borders of Wales, also have a responsibility.


Here is a link to the book 'Burning down the Dosbarth' by David Greenslade
http://www.ylolfa.com/dangos.php?ISBN=0862432715

2 comments:

  1. Hi David,
    In the light of your blog above, may I suggest that you read "Burning down the Dosbarth" a volume of Anglo-Welsh poetry written by David Greenslade,a native of Cefn Cribwr. The poems are all based on his experiences following learning to speak Welsh and describe the same sort of love/hate relationship with the language that you profess. You may well have already read his work, and if so, I hope that you won't take offence at my presumption.
    I learned the language as an adult because I felt cheated by the dismal lessons I received in school and wanted my children to be able to access some of the history and literature which I had missed out on while growing up. I'm sure, as you say, that there are many learners who think that acquiring the language will lead to better job prospects. My own experience as a Welsh tutor for Adults, is that most of them make a committment to learn for the sake of their children and grand-children or simply because they feel that they have missed out and that their lives are poorer as a result of not being able to speak the language of their fore-fathers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Viv! I put a smiley icon but it came out wrong. Diolch am hwn!

    ReplyDelete

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman