Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Thursday 10 October 2019

Despair & Longing

A funny(ish) poem about mental health



Well here we are again, October 10th,World International Mental Health Day and
kick that tumbleweed out of the way and mind you don't prick yourself on that cactus.  
You may call me a cynic
but this "talk to somebody" business is bollocks.
What if the somebody you choose to talk to
makes your despair and longing worse
because that is what it is
'Despair & Longing'
Despair at the world (as it is with you in it)
Longing for a better world (so that you can have a better life)
They call Depression the Black Dog
I call mine the Purple Frog.
It is covered in warts and belches and farts
everyone knows when the Puce Amphibian starts.
I grumble and mumble, I stumble and I wail  
My biggest concern, from a young child, is that I fail.
Competing against your fellow (wo)man
has always been the name of the game.
"You got to be in it to win it"
Your head's got to be in the frame.
It's funny, October 10th is the one day I feel OK
because everyone is talking about me
Purple Frog says "that could be your paranoia see!"   
As the world's in uproar I might as well say
that for me, mental health is political, it is not about
chemicals in balance or out of kilter
it's about how we get messed about on the helter skelter.
We have been taught to accept that life is unfair
but what if we all untangled that from our hair.
Instead of getting older and bitter
what if we got younger and fitter
and said
 "No"
 to all the purple frogs crouching in our way
"Easier said than done" I hear you say.
We can swallow the tablets and accept the ECT
we can become hermits and hide up in the tree
making a den of all our regrets and hurts.
We sleep, the greatest escape of all
the sun peeps through the leaves
we stir and say, "maybe I'll try again"
It's too easy to think that this is the end
"Maybe Purple Frog is actually my friend"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman