Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Thursday 30 October 2014

Brown is the new Black







My Blog has had a makeover! readership numbers are dwindling, the novelty is wearing off. People are voting with their feet and shouting 'There's nothing here for me". Well good, F Off! This blog is for me. I like blogging, I like blogging, I like blogging and I like to blog. I wanted to be a journalist when I was 13 but I failed my exams so I became a Printer and then a Teacher. I haven't darkened a classroom entrance for 10 years but there is a slim chance that I might be back in one next week. I've had the call. They're desperate, they need someone to cover 'English' in a Welsh Medium School. An Oxymoron if ever there was one. Teaching the language of the Oppressor, the language of the Western Mail but what am I saying? It was the only exam I passed, I passed English Language, English Literature and Welsh as a second language. After six years in an oppressive, imperialist outpost in North Wales where my father spent a small fortune on my education and I come out with 3 O levels.(GCSEs) So my dreams of writing the editorial for the Daily Mirror or the Denbighshire Free Press were dashed at 16. I left after two terms of A level study after making a mockery of my mocks, with the History teacher phoning home and saying to my mother that he had never had a pupil take such a disrespectful attitude to an exam in all his teaching career. There were questions about Catherine the Great and Maria Therese and I could see others writing away like loons(the irony) and I proceeded to 'pleasure myself' by writing out a comical satire based on these two characters claiming that they were both members of a clog dancing troupe from Oldham. My fate had been sealed, I began work at 17 years of age in a Dickensian Printers called Gwasg Gee, Denbigh, North Wales on £25.00 from Margaret Thatcher's own purse on the Youth Opportunities Programme. Here I am 31 years later on only double that amount a week, working tax credits, but the difference is, that today I am a free man. 
So my blog has had a 'makeover'. Brown is a very comforting colour. The colour of old things, the colour of gravitas, the colour of safe shoes and it is also the colour of Poo.  Although a follower of Jung I must declare an interest in Freud's anal phase. I am fascinated by poo because it's something that we all do, that we all have in common. We all block the sewers with our detritus. I can actually remember my own potty and toilet training days and my dear mother promising me oodles of Cherry Corona Pop if I moved from the potty to the po to do my poo.  I bet you thought this post was going to be about race didn't you? Well naughty, naughty you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman