Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Thursday 24 April 2014

Where do I go from here?



A Great Film which I've only seen once but I remember the ending as I remember the ending to Midnight Cowboy and to Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid. Endings are vitally important but it appears that in recent years in TV and Film, endings have been getting successively poorer. I am to experience my own ending soon and one which I will be quite sad about, the ending of my M.A in Playwriting at the University of Salford. Despite my moans and groans about Blackboards and a few technical issues, it has, all in all been superb, not only, in that it has bought me more time away from the world of work, but that it has expanded my horizons away from the South Wales coalfield.. Soon, very soon it will be over and I will have to decide "Where do I go from here?". My gut and my intuition tell me not to go back to Wales. That chapter is over. I have not fully immersed myself in the course because I have made excuses and returned to Wales whenever the teaching element has finished rather than staying 'Up North' and seeing what develops. Me & Wales need to have a divorce! I will be issuing papers soon. I need to have better endings I know that. I think that it is fear of commitment that forces my hand. Fear to commit to any place or person without an escape clause. I should really follow the Greek Maxim and burn my bridges. Make a complete break so that there is no going back. By leaving Wales it will mean that the title of this Blog might have to be tweaked and twerked a bit. Looking back over the plays that I have written, what many if not all of them have in common is that they have poor, weak endings. Perhaps the best ending of all is death. The most definitive ending. There is definitely no coming back from that!  If we know that death is a definitive ending then why can't we appreciate that life is finite. That it is a constant stream of endings. We live as if it will last for ever. We waste so much time. I use the royal 'we' because I know that you do also. It appears to be an inherent part of the human condition. I suppose that if we didn't waste time then we would burn out. Time Management is so important in other areas of our life so why don't we Time Manage life itself. I definitely think I'm going to have to do that after this course because otherwise I will start drifting again and another decade goes by and then its the state pension and then it's the wooden box and as the Undertaker closes the lid, he slaps you one more time, just to see if there's any sign of life and shouts "Feeling Lucky Punk?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman