Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Friday 22 December 2017

Christmas Spirit





Well the self proclaimed 'Grinch of Grangetown' is sat here like some overweight Ebeneezer Scrooge poring over 2017's Blog Posts. For the Shark Fisherman it has been an OK year although it has been a horrific one globally. As per usual, I've done nothing, kept my head down and managed to stay out of too much trouble. The highlight of my year without a doubt was a trip to Glasgow. I had never been before and I was well impressed. It made the same impression on me as Manchester did when I first encountered it in 2013. In fact I coined the phrase 'The Manchester of the North' for Glasgow which tickled me. I mentioned to my neighbour that I was surprised that there was not more mention of these two impressive cities and he said 'they do not have the elites, they are working class cities' and there and then it hit me between the eyes, in my third eye in fact, that not only are ordinary people deprived of social mobility, whole cities are as well.  Edinburgh and London are eulogised but not Glasgow and Manchester. In my dotage, I am yearning for places that are real, that have authenticity and Manchester and Glasgow have that in abundance. I am still blue moon lighting between Aberystwyth and Cardiff and as you may have noticed my disdain for Brexit Britain is not far from the surface. I remember queuing at Liverpool passport office for a large blue passport to go to the United States of America in 1985 so this blue/burgundy thing is not as old as the 1973 common market any road up. Sheesh I sound like Methusela! I would like to return to America but I'm not sure whether old Mc Donald would let me in with my colourful history and I ain't about to go bowing and scraping in no Embassy so I will just have to bide my time.  
I have not been giving gifts at Christmas for a few years now, maybe five, it's the obligatory nature of it that gets my goat and this year I haven't sent any cards even though I have received a few, it's the reciprocating for the sake of reciprocating that wangles my dangle. As per usual I have been spending too much time at my computer, like Damian Green, and am hoping just to 'do' more in 2018 whatever that doing will entail. 
I would like to wish my readers, supporters and groupies a happy winter solstice and hope that there wont be too much need for 'Thoughts & Prayers' in 2018. 
Nadolig Llawen & Blwyddyn Newydd Dda i chi gyd unless you voted for Brexit and in that case, I hope your next 💩 is a hedgehog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fruity old fruit bats

  Hello my fruity old fruit bats! That is a term of endearment by the way. I thought I would treat you to a piece of prose rather than the b...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman